Production Document ( 2nd year )

Production Document ( 2nd year )

Wednesday 13 January 2010

Date: October 28th 2009 (Next Gen-Version)

During this month I have been modelling the next generation version of my character, I used a collection of female photo references to help me build a female mesh. The photo references of Ilona was very helpful for getting the correct size proportions for the characters body which will help me to achieve a realistic look to my character.


The body mesh was perfectly align with the photo references, but I modified some areas because I am going to add armour which will separate her breasts and I also made her waist bigger for the uniform.

Now that I was happy with the basic mesh, I would use the female base mesh as a template to help me place the uniform, armour, belts and ammunition pack on the characters body.

Organising the workflow for modelling the character and its components was not as difficult as trying to choose what method to use for creating the normal map.

There are many different methods to creating normal maps for a character; I managed to narrow down two methods which I found interesting.

The first method was to create a basic mesh, duplicate it and add more detail to the mesh copy using Maya or Zbrush, and add detail to the mesh without breaking the silh

ouette of the original mesh.

Then you have finished adding detail, import the Hi-resolution mesh back into Maya and use the transfer maps.

From this point users will transfer the high resolution detail onto the low resolution mesh which can also be done in Zbrush.

The second method was to build the high detail version first, if users have a workstation with low specification it would be best to separate each part of your mesh and sculpture the detail using Zbrush.

Once each part is done import it back into Maya and create a low polygon mesh which directly covers the hi-detail mesh.

Users will UV unwrap the low polygon mesh

and transfer the resolution of the high detail mesh onto normals which will fit perfectly on the UV map.


Made in Maya then imported into Zbrush to add more detail.


Both methods are very effective when they are done correctly the results are very cool.

My Workstation has a good amount of memory and processing power, however the graphics card is only Nvidia 95000 which should be enough to handle the work load.

Just to make sure that everything works ok I will build my model in separate parts, this could take more time and a little more planning, but it will be safer and their will be less chances of the workstation crashing.



The high resolution version (on the right) was used to transfer normal mapping to the low resolution version (on the left).


For quite some time now I have been reading about how normal maps are made and this is my first attempt at trying it for my character.

I will continue to do this for the rest of the model, areas like the arms and legs will need extra topology for animation reasons.

The chest area is hard steel armour with not much movement so the topology can be limited.



No comments: